Deviant from the Norm

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Portrait of a Blog...

Today brings a few good experiences to the table. My Modern Art teacher, who is so prestigious in her field that "well-known" professors overseas respect her opinions and experience, has actually complimented me. OK, to preface this, she NEVER expresses interest in any of her students in any emotional way, she does the job, but does not show personal interest ever. She is like the untouchable Pope, high on a pedestal, whose opinion everyone values, yet no one really knows her heart.
This brick house of a chick and I have a meeting today at 2pm to discuss my final project, which is to write a manifesto about my philosophy of art and my personal work...how I want to make a change in the art world, etc. Its a great idea, but the very nature of the project begs the class to bullshit like a champ.
So, I have intensely researched this Belgian artist from the early 1920's through the 1960's- Rene Magritte. You may have unknowingly viewed his work in various settings....he did the paintings involving a pipe, with the caption "Ceci n'est pas un pipe". He did a bunch of other stuff too, though it was not even remotely accepted as art until he wrote extensively about his philosophies on other artists' work and finally put forth enough paintings to catch the eye of a deviant art critic who got him into galleries. He found comraderie in a group of other deviant-from-the-norm artists of the time...Man Ray, Max Ernst, Marcel Duchamp, etc.

So my brick house teacher sat with me today and I showed her my ideas about how Magritte seemed to approach his paintings with the notion of a mathematical equation...and she about creamed her drawers over that idea!
That is nastiness at its finest, but damn true. I honestly know I can analyze art and many other things with an intelligent and intuitive eye, but she loved the idea of applying a mathematical equation to creating a Surrealist painting. Kick-ass, I just scored some brownie points with the unapproachable big-dog in the art dept. Her enthusiasm made me feel like I hae a lot to offer the art world....even on a local level...and that gives me purpose beyond the bullshit that is NOT good in life right now.
This blog, for the 2 or 3 people that read it, is not that interesting or funny, but it is what it is...
Smooches to ya...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home